Souvenir de la Campagne de Chine
- 52 images
No Re-UseIn Copyright
- All Images (52)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- Souvenir de la Campagne de Chine
- August 14, 1900 to September 18, 1901
- Coullaud, Henry, 1872-1954
- One of two albums containing 120 black-and-white photographs taken by Coullaud during the Boxer Rebellion in China, 1900-1901. Album 1 starts with images of the French naval personnel with whom he travelled, French ships, and the allied fleets, along with scenes taken in the ports of Djibouti, Port Said, Singapore, and Taku (Dagu). The rest of the images offer views of the cities of Tianjin, Baodingfu, Dingzhou, and Zhengdingfu. There are images of many types of buildings, markets and merchants, river life, modes of transportation, entertainments, a public execution, and images of rural life and work. There are a number of group portraits of Chinese and French officials and wealthy Chinese men, as well as a group portrait in a French medical clinic, and officers putting on a theatrical play and celebrating July 14th. Coullaud appears in multiple images. There are also some photographs of urban and rural Chinese women. The albums seem to have been a gift from a Chinese family to Coullaud, whose last name, spelled phonetically in Chinese characters, appears on the album covers.
- Digital Collection:
- Henry Coullaud photograph albums, 1900-1901.
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection