Lease agreement for the rental of Maria, an enslaved woman, 1853 December 27 :manuscript.
- Lease agreement for the rental of Maria, an enslaved woman, 1853 December 27 :manuscript.
- December 27, 1853
- Maria(Enslaved person), active 1853
Summary: Lease agreement for the rental of Maria, an enslaved woman. The unidentified renters "bind" themselves to pay "$35 on or before the 23rd Dec 1854" to "Lehew's & McKay" for the "hire of Negro woman Maria". The renters "bind [themselves] to keep said woman well clothed during the year and return her at expiration of the year supplied with a new and complete suit of winter clothing consisting of a new homemade linsey dress, underdress shirts of good scholasticate cotton, new shoes, & stockings, bonnet and one of the largest sized blankets."
Names of enslavers leasing Maria from Schew and McKay excised from document.
"Lehew's & McKay" possibly refers to the married couple, Anna Elizabeth McKay (nee Lehew) and Thomas Buck McKay, who enslaved 7 people. Consult the 1860 U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules.
Title devised by cataloger.
Formerly known as: Note for rental of slave woman for one year from [Schew's] McKay: Maria, including furnishing with winter clothing, shoes, stockings, bonnet, and blanket, $36, to [name excised], Front Royal area, Va.
Title on verso: Bond of hire for Maria, 1854.
Place of production based on known locations of members of the Lehew and McKay families.
- Women slaves--Virginia
- Slave trade--Virginia
- African American women--Virginia
- African Americans--Virginia
- Enslaved Persons
- Enslaved people
- African American women
- African Americans
- Slave trade
- Women Slaves
- Maria--(Enslaved person), --active 1853
- Front Royal, Virginia?, 1853 December 27.
- Digital Collection:
- American Slavery Documents
- Source Collection:
- American slavery documents collection
- Slavery Series
- Free Re-UseNo Copyright - United States
- Sponsor this Digital Collection