J. Michael Laidlaw - "What Shall I Bring?" (January 29, 1984)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (2)
- MP3 Part 1
- MP3 Part 2
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- J. Michael Laidlaw - "What Shall I Bring?" (January 29, 1984)
We run a danger of forgetting the paradoxical nature of the Gospel and growing numb to its radical claims on our lives. Yet the prophets, such as Micah, and Jesus' words in the Sermon on the Mount, come to us as reminders of what it is to live out the mercy and love of God in a violent world. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 37:07. Sermon end time: (Part 2) 9:41.
Key quotation: “I’m beginning to better understand now why it is that God sees fit to place in our midst prophets and skeptics, poets and jesters, children and clowns, that through these, through these the very radical, pervasive, insane, foolish words of God may somehow reach us and touch us and transform us and lift us at least a little bit out of ourselves and into grace.”
- January 29, 1984
- Laidlaw, J. Michael
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0191
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- Related Resources:
- See below
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection