Peter J. Gomes - "We Are the Gentiles" (January 5, 1997)
No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Peter J. Gomes - "We Are the Gentiles" (January 5, 1997)
Epiphany is the moment in which the Gentiles are welcomed into the Jewish story of the Messiah's birth. Through the coming of the Magi, we are reminded that the Gospel is for those who are near and for those who are far off; the Gospel is inclusive. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 4:03. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 27:01.
Key quotation: “The lessons of Epiphany are meant to remind us that God’s gift of Himself comes to us who have no claim on it, who do not deserve it, indeed who may not even recognize it when it comes. God’s love for the world of His own creation is so great that He sends neither a message nor a messenger but comes Himself. And He comes to us all. Those of us who are from away, who are from the east, who are foreign, who are not Jews, who are not heirs of the promises. He comes to us. The good news of the Gospel is that the Gospel is inclusive.”
- January 5, 1997
- Gomes, Peter J.
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0839
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection