Christine Smith - "Spreading and Moving the Table" (March 9, 1997)
Limited Re-UseUnknown Rights-Holder
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Christine Smith - "Spreading and Moving the Table" (March 9, 1997)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 3:58. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 27:31.
Jesus gives a simple mandate for us to feed those who are hungry and in the place of wilderness and desert, spreads a table before them. So we are to spread and move the table to where there is need, bringing this table to where there is the cold fire of hunger both in the physical hunger and also for the marginalized and oppressed. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: People who have made a difference in the world live the urgency and passion of Jesus’ simple mandate, “They need not go away. You, you, you give them something to eat.” In a day and age when religious people speak more about the dangers of codependent behaviors than about the passion and meaning of deeply invested self-giving love and justice, I wonder if we are prepared to move this table once more into all the places that it is needed……
- March 9, 1997
- Smith, Christine M. (Christine Marie), 1953-
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Mark 6:30-44
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0847
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseUnknown Rights-Holder
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection