Michael A. Walrond, Jr. - "Looking for Jesus in All the Wrong Places" (December 28, 1997)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Michael A. Walrond, Jr. - "Looking for Jesus in All the Wrong Places" (December 28, 1997)
Sermon start time: 02:26. Sermon end time: 20:58.
We have a tendency to look for Jesus in all of the wrong places. He is constantly challenging our assumptions of where he would be, regularly finding his home among the marginalized corners of society. Often we do not look there because we are afraid to get out of our comfort zones. But that is what the call to follow Jesus means: making ourselves uncomfortable for the sake of being with him. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: Weepin g may be the first prophetic move to let go on our tight grip on present arrangements, where we might move forward to something more substantial than the present. Maybe you should think of church as public processing of pain. Have you ever come to church and found yourself in tears? What is that? It takes a lot of faith to rage and complain and shake fists and cry out ‘O god Why’.
- December 28, 1997
- Walrond, Michael A., Jr.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0887
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection