Elizabeth Achtemeier - "A Shocking Command" (July 26, 1998)
Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Elizabeth Achtemeier - "A Shocking Command" (July 26, 1998)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 2:37. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 19:12.
Achtemeier parallels Gomer/Israel, the harlot wife of Hosea, to modern-day whoring America, wherein promiscuity, adultery, presidential scandals, abortion, and single-parent households as evidence of turning away from a God who – despite it all – still poured out love on the cross and offers new life in Jesus; by shaming the congregation for lust and sexuality, she pushes the congregation to turn to righteous Jesus. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
- July 26, 1998
- Achtemeier, Elizabeth, 1926-2002
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0916
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Rights Note:
- This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the Creative Commons license indicated here. For more information see https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection