Kenneth L. Nelson - "The Test of a Lifetime" (June 27, 1999)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Kenneth L. Nelson - "The Test of a Lifetime" (June 27, 1999)
Sermon start time: 01:32. Sermon end time: 17.25.
In our offense to the story of Abraham and Isaac, we question whether God would really command Abraham to sacrifice his son. But in asking this, we are asking the wrong question, because such a question belies our doubt that God will provide. But this story is a story that reminds us that God is a provider and that we must trust God, even when it does not make sense to do so. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: “God has become for Abraham more than a source of endless blessings. More than a fixer of our foibles. More than the one who is there to do our bidding or give us life according to our own design. God is God, and not to be domesticated by our notions of who God should be, nor held accountable for our own sense of what is right or wrong. God is to be God. And God is to be trusted.”
- June 27, 1999
- Nelson, Kenneth L.
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0965
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection