William B. Lawrence - "Inseparable from Praise" (July 25, 1999)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- William B. Lawrence - "Inseparable from Praise" (July 25, 1999)
Sermon start time: 02:24. Sermon end time: 22:15.
Jesus' parables are not so much about the people who inhabit them as they are about the purposes of God unveiled in them. In this way, Jesus shows us that the Christian faith is not dependent upon us, or our success or righteousness, but is carried for by the purposes of God. We must simply be willing to allow ourselves to be taken up into that purpose. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: “The core of the Christian faith is not the social status or moral virtue of the people who subscribe to the Christian faith. The core of the faith, the center of the story, the foundations of what we believe are the purposes of God not the purposes of God’s people.”
- July 25, 1999
- Lawrence, William B.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0969
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection