L. Gregory Jones - "Eyes on the Prize" (October 3, 1999)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- L. Gregory Jones - "Eyes on the Prize" (October 3, 1999)
Sermon start time: 02:30. Sermon end time: 20:14.
Paul's exhortation in Philippians 3 to forget what lies behind and focus on what lays ahead is not intended to discount the past. Rather, it is a reminder to never allow ourselves to become stuck in traditionalism––that is, a desire to live in the past––but to take the tradition and move it into the future with our eyes fixed on Jesus. This was the vision of the initial founders of Duke, and it is one we must continue. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: “Let us always be heirs of tradition without being captured by traditionalism. Let us look forward to the future. In so doing, let us focus on Christ Jesus.”
- October 3, 1999
- Jones, L. Gregory
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-0979
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection