Joseph Sittler - "The Care of the Earth" (January 14, 1962)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Joseph Sittler - "The Care of the Earth" (January 14, 1962)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 0:00:01. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 0:34:24.
In this wide-ranging and highly literary meditation upon Psalm 104, a very early example of Christian environmental thinking (1962), the preacher calls upon texts from Aquinas to Dostoevsky to contemporary poets in order to develop a religious vision for human care of the earth. The preacher invites hearers to see themselves in a new way: in our relation to the natural world, we do not find a set of resources to be used, but the place which is constitutive of our very selfhood, constitutive of our very ability to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
- January 14, 1962
- Sittler, Joseph
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Psalm 104
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 RR-0169
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection