Carlyle Marney - "The God of this Twilight" (October 8, 1967)
No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Carlyle Marney - "The God of this Twilight" (October 8, 1967)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 0:47. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 27:11.
Speaking both from and to the characteristic mood of the mid-1960s -- that "twilight" condition of global unrest, instability, and change -- the preacher insists only a transcendent God can sweep away our self-deceptions, comfort us in our fears, and inspire in our species a new confidence and a new hope. Thus, the preacher exhorts hearers to reject the much-vaunted "death of God," and instead face the reality that we as human beings have not changed: we remain incapable of inhabiting a world from which God has gone. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
- October 8, 1967
- Marney, Carlyle, 1916-1978
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 RR-0402
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection