Carlyle Marney - "Our Present Higher Good" (November 5, 1972)
No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Carlyle Marney - "Our Present Higher Good" (November 5, 1972)
The realization of a truly human selfhood must come through the self's immersion in four reasonable myths: 1.) The myth that, in spite of all we know about the unconscious, I truly am a consciousness; 2.) The myth that will and passion are forces of the ego that I, as a consciousness, direct; 3.) The myth that I am under a law of love; 4.) The myth that there is a common good. When we accept these myths, then we can move to full personhood and the realization of a new humanity. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 30:54. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 58:58.
Key quotation: “The higher self is available to us only through our immersion in a set of reasonable myths.”
- November 5, 1972
- Marney, Carlyle, 1916-1978
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 RR-0639
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- Related Resources:
- See below
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection