James A. Jones - "Beyond a Religion of Comfort" (January 26, 1958)
No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- James A. Jones - "Beyond a Religion of Comfort" (January 26, 1958)
The Christian religion requires pain, because pain leads to experience and begets faith. Although comfort provides happiness, it does not provide joy--it is only through pain that we can arrive at true happiness. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: "Perhaps you can be religious without pain, but, my friends, you cannot be Christian without pain."
- January 26, 1958
- Jones, James A.
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 RR-0042
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection