Leonard I. Sweet - "Pigeon-Walking, Whale-Watching, Wave-Riding, Water-Striding" (August 2, 1987)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Leonard I. Sweet - "Pigeon-Walking, Whale-Watching, Wave-Riding, Water-Striding" (August 2, 1987)
The Church must keep in motion if it is not to succumb to the vice of small-mindedness. But there are particular types of motion that are proper to the Christian life. As Christians we must live lives of repentance (the ability to change direction); we must move in such as way as to leave oases of peace and refuge for the world; we must move fearlessly and joyfully into the turbulent waters of life; and we must be so immersed in the life of the Spirit that we can glide over the surface of life like water-striders do a creek. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 24:59. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 54:31.
Key quotation: “Motion is what keeps Christians spiritually breathing.”
- August 2, 1987
- Sweet, Leonard I.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0042
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection