John W. Vannorsdall - "On Hailing Caesar" (October 18, 1987)
Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- John W. Vannorsdall - "On Hailing Caesar" (October 18, 1987)
The dilemma posed between loyalty to governing authorities and loyalty to the ultimate authority of God is not easily resolved by the Scriptural witness. On the one hand, Paul exhorts the Roman Christians to obey human authority and see it as a gift from God, and, on the other, Peter replies to the Jewish authorities in Acts that he and the early Christians must obey God rather than human authority. Jesus' cryptic reply that we must render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's lies somewhere between these to poles of the dilemma. And it is pricesly at the crossroad of these two positions that Jesus (and therefore we as well) was crucified. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 19:45. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 41:19.
Key quotation: “This conflict between what civil and religious authorities thought necessary for the good of society, and what Jesus found necessary in obedience to God, were the horizontal and the vertical of the cross, the unsentimental consequence of two realities for which there was no other resolution.”
- October 18, 1987
- Vannorsdall, John W.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0053
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Rights Note:
- This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the Creative Commons license indicated here. For more information see https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection