Grant F. Shockley - "The Star in the East" (January 3, 1988)
Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Grant F. Shockley - "The Star in the East" (January 3, 1988)
The star of the east in Matthew's story of the Magi is a directing star, directing their path from the east; it is a tanscending star, illuminating the Magi with a sense of God's otherness; and it is a guiding star, guiding them through past, present, and future with wisdom. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 22:27. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 40:38.
Key quotation: “Not only did the star in the east give direction to life, it also gave life a sense of transcendence, a sense of beyondness, a sense of otherness, a beckoning kind of come hither, there is yet more to be seen and known of God, a capacity to rise above the limits of the situation, a holy identity to which one is irresistibly drawn.”
- January 3, 1988
- Shockley, Grant S.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0065
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Rights Note:
- This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the Creative Commons license indicated here. For more information see https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection