Wade P. Huie, Jr. - "A Long Robe with Flowing Sleeves" (August 19, 1990)
Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Wade P. Huie, Jr. - "A Long Robe with Flowing Sleeves" (August 19, 1990)
Over the course of his life, Joseph experiences a change in the way he responds to and uses his gifts. Whereas in Caanan with his brothers and fathers he struts his gifts and uses them to puff himself up, by the time he reaches Egypt, he as learned to use his gifts to bless others. Whatever the historical causes for this change in character, what this story teaches us is that what humans have done out of evil, God can work to the good of all creation. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 15:02. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 41:39.
Key quotation: “Up in Canaan, Joseph was given a long robe with full sleeves, in which he could just strut around with his many gifts. Now, down in Egypt, he was given another special robe, but a robe this time that became a symbol for feeding or serving those in need, even prisoners and foreigners and enemies.”
- August 19, 1990
- Huie, Wade P., Jr.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0196
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Rights Note:
- This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the Creative Commons license indicated here. For more information see https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection