Floyd Thompkins, Jr. - "Empty Jars and Bills to Pay" (November 25, 1990)
Limited Re-UseUnknown Rights-Holder
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
Loading the media player...
- Floyd Thompkins, Jr. - "Empty Jars and Bills to Pay" (November 25, 1990)
The widow in 1 Kings had fallen into poverty, because her neighbors and the nation had failed her. Even when she went to ask for help, the neighbors only gave her empty jars. But God showed up and graciously poured Godself out in response to her needs. We must not be like the neighbors in this story but to give a little oil when we give our jars to those in need. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 17:52. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 43:51.
Key quotation: “Sickness and disease and death have the power to create pain and suffering, but they have no power to create pain and suffering, but they have no power to create poverty unless compassion and care and support flee.”
- November 25, 1990
- Thompkins, Floyd, Jr.
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0210
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- Related Resources:
- See below
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseUnknown Rights-Holder
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection