James Earl Massey - "Looking Beyond Our Laments" (June 9, 1991)
Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- James Earl Massey - "Looking Beyond Our Laments" (June 9, 1991)
When Jacob stands before Pharaoh toward the end of his life, he answers Pharaoh's questions in a mood of dispair because he has allowed the laments of his life to cloud out the memory of God's faithful presence. While there are indeed tragedies we must lament, we must always be looking to the Lord in faith to restore the joy of our countenance. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 20:12. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 49:26.
Key quotation: “Look beyond your laments, and you are going to see something that will enrich your spirit. Look up, catch a fresh vision of the glory and grace of God, in the face of Jesus Christ…Look around, catch a fresh awareness of the needs and the hurts of others whose plight calls out for what your hands and your heart could make possible for them if you were only aware of them. Look back, count anew the many blessings you’ve known because you’ve seen far too much of the goodness of the Lord to remain a victim of your own moods and forget that God is good. Look forward, and I promise you, you will see a light shining forth from the future, and you will also see the outstretched arms of a savior, ready to welcome you as you come to him in prayer, as you come to him in trust, and finally as you come to him in death.”
- June 9, 1991
- Massey, James Earl
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 VHS-0235
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- Related Resources:
- See below
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseCC BY-NC 4.0
- Rights Note:
- This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the Creative Commons license indicated here. For more information see https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection