North African commonplace book in Arabic.
- North African commonplace book in Arabic.
- Alternative Title:
- Container of (work):Abū al-Faraj al-Iṣbahānī, 897 or 898-967. Kitāb al-aghānī. Selections (1700)
- 1700 to 1799?
- ابو الفرج الاصبهاني،897 or 898-967. كتاب الاغاني.
Title devised by cataloger.
Physical description: Varying lines per page, written in maghribī script on heavy laid European paper with large crown watermark (e. g. leaf 109). Leaves 2b, 38b, 58a, 73a blank. Some staining; a few leaves have repairs to the inner margin, resulting in slight loss of text. Mild insect damage. Disbound.
A commonplace book consisting primarily of poetry quotations with their accompanying explanatory text in prose, particularly from Abū al-Faraj's Kitāb al-aghānī (e. g. leaves 6a, 10a, 16a, etc. ). On leaf 116a is a list of the years between successive prophetic revelations; on leaves 118a, 119a are schematic diagrams of buildings.
Loose in red leather wrapper with flap; blind-stamped central mandorla, blind-tooled fillets, gold-stamped quatrefoils in corners, gold tooled border around mandorla, gold-tooled chain extending vertically from top and bottom of mandorla to fillets. Spine split apart.
Forms part of the Harry L. and Mary K. Dalton Collection (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University).
- Africa, North
- 124 leaves :illustrations ; 233 x 132 mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE008005242
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Arabic MS 25
- Sponsor this Digital Collection