[Monk's Book, Liturgical directions and prayers].
- 280 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (280)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Monk's Book, Liturgical directions and prayers].
- 1500 to 1550
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in one column of 14-16 lines; ruled for 30-32 lines (sometimes the scribe adds an extra line or two at the bottom of the leaf) with a fine dry point on the hair side.
Script: Although assembled from three sections, there appear to have been four main hands. The first a regular neat hand in a black ink; the second is less careful, as the script slants either to the right or left at any time; the third differs little from scribes one and two; the fourth's script contrasts starkly--there is regularity and neatness, but there is no slant and the script has fewer ligatures with the individual letters standing alone. While each used a slightly different pen for writing, in general there was a specific attempt made to produce an attractive and readable book; several shorter sections can be attributed to other scribes.
Decoration: Contains red ornamental initials and red and black ornamental penwork.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Origin: Possibly written at Saint Cahterine's Monastery on Mt. Sinai.
Includes a long discussion of the proper conduct of priests and monks. Main sections written by four different scribes. Contents: I. Liturgy and Prayers; II. Confession and Penance; III. Monastic Rules.
Binding: Blind tooled full brown morocco over boards; two clasps at the fore edge are wanting.
- Sinai, Mount (Egypt)
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Rules--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Rules--Manuscripts.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Manuscripts.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Prayers and devotions--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Prayers and devotions--Manuscripts.
- Orthodox Eastern monasticism and religious orders--Rules--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern monasticism and religious orders--Rules--Manuscripts.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 138 leaves :paper ; 147 x 102 (110 x 75) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006021742
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 008
- Sponsor this Digital Collection