[New Testament, Gospels].
- 568 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (568)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [New Testament, Gospels].
- Alternative Title:
- Bible. Gospels. Byzantine Greek. 1100.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 21 lines; ruled for 21 lines with a fine dry point on the hair side in one column.
Script: A squarish late thirteenth century pendant hand with a finely executed mixture of clearly formed uncial and minuscule characters, and a good mixture of ligatures, with a hardly perceptible rightward slant. Kephalia appear in the upper and lower margins in the scribal hand red; scribal Eusebian sections and canon numbers are red in the fore edge margins.
Decoration: Originally four evangelists' portraits; now only that of St. Mark remains. Each gospel has been prepared with a pi-headpiece in red ink, each with a slightly different form, and each has an ornamental initial letter in red ink. There is only one running penwork ornament.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Tetraevangelion. Portrait of the Evangelist Mark partly damaged with loss. Missing final chapter of the Gospel of John.
Binding: Modern full brown morocco over oak boards, beveled edges, tooled in blind a panel with a lozenge; raised double cords with new single parchment endsheets inside both covers.
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 280 leaves :parchment, illuminations ; 174 x 120 (117 x 109) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006041658
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 016
- Sponsor this Digital Collection