[Liturgies of Saint Basil, Saint John Chrysostom, and Saint Gregory].
- 158 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (158)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Liturgies of Saint Basil, Saint John Chrysostom, and Saint Gregory].
- Alternative Title:
- Euchologion. Selections. Byzantine Greek. 1400
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Leitourgia proēgiasmenōn. Byzantine Greek. 1400.
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Liturgy of St. Basil. Byzantine Greek. 1400.
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Byzantine Greek. 1400.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 15 lines.
Script: Swift, short hand in black ink, leaning to the right, although beta and epsilon tend to lean to the left. Frequent ligatures and flourishes. Uncial gamma, delta and nu are regularly interspersed with the minuscules.
Decoration: Colored initials in deep purplish blue, dark olive green, and deep reddish orange. Frequent flourishes and ornamentation of zig-zagging lines filled with hatch marks, sometimes with red or green added between the hatches. Three ornamental headpieces: fol. 4r: headpiece of interlace pattern formed by two serpents whose tails appear to emerge from the top and bottom at the fore edge side and whose heads emerge from the top and bottom of the gutter edge; fol. 33r: ornamental pi-headpiece of interlace strapwork with a cross filled with twisted ornament at the center of the top--and finials of serpent heads and tails; fol. 64r: ornamental bar headpiece in black strapwork with an elaborate florate ornament at the center at the head.
Title cataloged from existing description.
The manuscript contains non-scribal colophons by Philip the Breton (?), dated 1793 and non-scribal notations, mostly quotations from the liturgy.
Binding: Contemporary binding of wooden boards covered in pieced cloth of red, blue, and green, with two clasps of leather (only the one at the head remains) originally fastening onto fore edge pins in the upper cover which are present. Five bosses on each cover--one in each corner and one in the center. The bosses of a reddish brown metal alloy, apparently cast, are decorated in low relief with interlacing tendrils and leaves. Supplied with two cord markers.
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 77 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 208 x 150 (177 x 113) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006049511
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 044
- Sponsor this Digital Collection