[Homilies of Saints Gregory and Basil for the month of October].
- 624 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (624)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Homilies of Saints Gregory and Basil for the month of October].
- Alternative Title:
- Gregory, of Nazianzus, Saint. Orations. Selections. Byzantine Greek.
- Basil, Saint, Bishop of Caesarea, approximately 329-379. Sermons. Selections. Byzantine Greek.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 23 lines; ruled for 22-24 lines with a mastara.
Script: There are at least three hands represented in the manuscript: Scribe I: fol. 1-16r and 286r-308v; Scribe II: fol. 17v-245v; and Scribe III: fol. 245v-295v. They are all from the same period, written in a black ink with modest red ornamental letters at the beginning of the sections and smaller ones in the margins. Hand I is a small rounded, with a rightward slant, pendant. Hand II, pendant, is more squarish and does not have the fluidity of that of hand I. Hand III is written in the style of the other two; however, the letters are written slightly wider and with a stronger, more determined and slightly square hand with standard mixture of uncials and minuscules.
Decoration: Floriated initials in various colors of red throughout; a running bar headpiece in red and black and an extended guilloche with a narrow rectangle of double lines with tre-foil finials set on the diagonal in the corners, in brown ink.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Includes homilies Praise on the Maccabee; In Praise of St. Cyprian of Antioch; On Julian the Apostle; On the Theophany; On the Nativity of Christ; Epiphany and Baptism; Encomium on Saints Michael and Gabriel, archangels.
Binding: Modern red morocco over binders' boards, sewn on four raised cords, clasps of buffalo hide with loops on the lower cover attached to turk's head knots on the upper, by McDonalds of New York, January 1968.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Sermons--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Sermons--Manuscripts.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Manuscripts.
- Sermons, Greek--Early works to 1800.
- Sermons, Greek--Manuscripts.
- Homiliaries--Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 308 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 220 x 140 (146 x 90) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006041150
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 036
- Sponsor this Digital Collection