[Fragment of a Euchologion, containing five prayers for various occasions].
- 4 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (4)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Fragment of a Euchologion, containing five prayers for various occasions].
- Alternative Title:
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Euchologion. Selections. Byzantine Greek. 1100.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript leaves.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 18-23 lines.
Script: An irregularly roundish hand, characteristic of southern Italy, written with some ambiguity as to whether to verticality or forward or slightly to the left. A rapidly written composition with frequent use of uncials. Another characteristic of this manuscript is the use of red blobs in the round and oval letters of the titles.
Decoration: The initial letters, particularly on the flesh side of the bifolio, are formed of zoomorphic figures, mostly serpents, which intertwine the vertical shafts of the letters; the base of the letters is floriated and lightly toned with a yellow (now cream in tone) wash.
Origin: South Italy.
Title cataloged from existing description.
A bifolium from the center of a signature found inserted before the final leaf of Duke Greek MS 19, containing five prayers for various occasions: on behalf of the mother of the child after forty days; when priest takes child in his hand and enters sanctuary doors; said before going to sleep; for rain; when a child is tonsured.
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 2 leaves :parchment, illuminations ; 221 x 150 (133 x 90) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006040876
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 020
- Sponsor this Digital Collection