[Commentary on the Gospel of John].
- 439 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (439)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Commentary on the Gospel of John].
- Alternative Title:
- Hermēneia eis to kata Iōannēn Euangelion
- Bible. John. Greek. David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library. Manuscript. Greek MS 053
- circa 1540
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Colophon in Greek and Latin (Latin transcribed): Anno Christi Servatôris/ 1573/ Hunc legens agnôvit Librum Claudius Naulôtus Vallensis, et Avallonoeus, et Haeduus: Cl. Naulot Du Val Avallõnois.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 30 lines; ruled with a mastara.
Script: The scribe is Nicolas Cocolos according to Palau; a neat, small minuscule in a black ink, slanting slightly to the right. Gospel of John and headings in a brownish red ink.
Decoration: Running penwork ornamental headpieces in the same brownish red ink as that in which the text of the Gospel of John is written: fol. 1v, 2r, and 3r. Ornamental initials in the outer margins also in a brownish red ink.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Gospel of John followed by commentary of Theophylactus, Archibishop of Okhrid.
Binding: Bound in limp vellum, with yapp fore edge; ex libris of the Duke of Sussex on the pastedown on the inside of the upper cover.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 214 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 337 x 244 (228 x 138) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006047153
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 053
- Sponsor this Digital Collection