[Selections from the Philokalia :works by Maximus the Confessor and Thalassius, Bishop of Caesarea].
- [Selections from the Philokalia :works by Maximus the Confessor and Thalassius, Bishop of Caesarea].
- Alternative Title:
- Maximus, Confessor, Saint, approximately 580-662. Capitum theologicorum et oeconomicorum duae centuriae. Greek.
- Thalassius, Bishop of Caesarea, active 648. De Charitate ac continentia, necnon de regimine mentis. Greek
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, fol. iv + 42 + iv ; 1⁸ 2-3¹⁰ 4⁸ 5⁶ ; quire numbers in Greek minuscules in the tail margin at the fore edge ; catchwords are under the last line of text at the gutter margin.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 31 lines.
Script: A small Italo-Greek minuscule hand, written rapidly, slanting to the right, using a dark brown ink and a fine pointed nib. Chapter headings are in well-defined uncials much as that found in stone. The words are separated. The hand is very fluid and a mixture of minuscule and uncial characters. The text on the page has a lacy effect due to the spacing between the lines and the fine small hand.
Decoration: Occasional penwork minims fill out the line at the end of the sections.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Theological summary (Patrologiae Graeca 90, 1084-1123) and allegorical "Century" of Maxims on the virtues by Maximus the Confessor (PG 1124-1173); also includes Four "Centuries" of Maxims on Charity, Temperance, and the Holy Spirit, by Thalassius, Bishop of Caesarea (PG 91, 1428-1469)
Binding: Vellum over boards.
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 42 leaves :paper, illuminations; 334 x 215 (266 x 202) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006051743
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 067
- Sponsor this Digital Collection