[New Testament Gospel Lectionary with lectionary for Epistles and Acts].
- 408 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (408)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [New Testament Gospel Lectionary with lectionary for Epistles and Acts].
- Alternative Title:
- Evangelion. Byzantine Greek. 1520
- 1520 to 1570?
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 24 lines; ruled in blind.
Script: Written in a somewhat careless minuscule in a black ink, slanting to the right. Faded red initials. Scribal notes in margins. Scribe intentionally left some initials blank which were later filled by a very elementary hand. Evidence of corrector throughout. fol. 26v, originally blank, is entirely filled with scrawl. Some lines scratched out (e.g., fol. 117v).
Decoration: Ornamental penwork in a faded red ink (fol. 14v, 15r, etc.).
Decoration added at a later date: Ornamental initials in black in an elementary hand. Scrawled drawings throughout (e.g., fol. 20v). An embroidered "K" in blue thread on fol. 138. Manicules in outer margins (fol. 185v, 188v, 199v e.g.).
Title cataloged from existing description.
Includes: fol. 2r-14v: Readings from Acts, the days from Easter through Pentecost; fol. 14v-43v: Readings from the Epistles for the days from Pentecost Monday through Holy Saturday; fol. 42v-144r: Gospel readings for the days from Easter through Holy Saturday; fol. 144r-203v: Epistles/Acts and Gospel readings for the fixed feast days from September 1 through August 29 (end lost). This lectionary is atypical in having the lections from the Gospels and the Epistles and Acts combined in a single volume: the lections from the Gospels are used for the movable feasts and those from the Epistles and Acts for the fixed feasts.
Binding: Binding possibly original, of the "Greek" type (raised endbands, boards flush with book block, no ridges on spine), of blind-tooled brown leather over squared and grooved wooden boards, remains of ribbons, pastedowns and flyleaves lost.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Manuscripts.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Lectionaries--Early works to 1800.
- Apocryphal Acts of the Apostles--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Apocryphal Acts of the Apostles--Texts--Manuscripts.
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 202 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 210 x 140 (160 x 92) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006078621
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 104
- Sponsor this Digital Collection