[Octoechos and Triodion].
- 536 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (536)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Octoechos and Triodion].
- Alternative Title:
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Triodion.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Byzantine codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 28 lines.
Script: The two texts, fol. 1r-32v and 32r-266v, are written by two different hands, in brown ink, in a neat, regular and professional-looking minuscule; numerous passages and headings are written in red, with hundreds of characteristic ornamental red capitals throughout.
Decoration: The decorative element consists of standard head-pieces and ornamental line fillers or bars heightened with red.
Music: Contains eight sets of tones (Octoechos).
Title cataloged from existing description.
fol. 1r-32v, Octoechos, incomplete at the beginning and opens with the office of Friday evening in the second tone; fol. 33r-266v, Triodion.
Binding: The bindng consists of heavily decorated (repoussé) silver, or silver-plated metal, over leather, with a foredge-flap attached to the back cover and fastened with two slim chains to the front cover. When the flap is closed, it covers the entire foredge and creates the appearance of a silver box. The center of the front cover is filled by a large panel (14.5 x 8.4 cm) of the Crucifixion, the corresponding portion of the back cover with the Coronation of the Virgin (Mary enthroned, holding the infant Jesus, crowned by two angels). The foredge-flap is in four compartments with the symbols of the evangelists. The spine is made of eight closely linked vertical rows of small, seashell-shaped metal parts, about 160 in all. The origin is possibly from Romania during the reign of Prince Constantine Brancovan.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church--Liturgy--Texts--Manuscripts.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.--Octoechos--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern Church.--Triodion--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Byzantine chants--Early works to 1800.
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- 266 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 183 x 120 (177 x 95) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006058071
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 094
- Sponsor this Digital Collection