Diary, 1887 April 1 - August 17
- 154 images
Free Re-UseNo Copyright - United States
- All Images (154)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- Diary, 1887 April 1 - August 17
- April 1, 1887 to August 17, 1887
- Stephen, Dorothea Jane
- Handwritten diary by 16-year-old Dorothea Jane Stephen. Entries document the author's anticipation of Jubilee Day (July 21, 1887, the 50th anniversary of Queen Victoria's reign), as well as her activities on the day itself (written in red rather than black ink), and the parties and church services following it. Other topics include her daily life in London and two family trips in England. In particular, Stephen chronicled (through both words and ink drawings) her family, including her mother and two sisters; school classes and examinations; visiting rounds; current fashion, horses, and carriages rides; leisure activities and sports, especially collecting bugs, reading, dancing, and playing lawn tennis; and visiting the coast at Barnstaple, England. She also described sites in London, including Buckingham Palace, St. Jame's Park, Piccadilly, and Kensington Heights.
- 151 pages
- Digital Collection:
- Dorothea Jane Stephen diary, 1887 April 1 - August 17
- Source Collection:
- Dorthea Jane Stephen diary
- Dorothea Jane Stephen Diary, 1887 April 1 - August 17
- The Dorthea Jane Stephen diary was received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a gift in 2001.
- Free Re-UseNo Copyright - United States
- Sponsor this Digital Collection